Monday, April 4, 2011

Time to cook!

I tend to get in these moods where all I want to do it cook.  Not just a little...A LOT!  I may feel inspired by a recipe or a picture or the random growl of my stomach.

I tend not to be a breakfast person too much but I tend to crave it and weird times of the day.  I never enjoyed biscuits and gravy as a kid or much into adulthood.  In the last few years I decided to give it another try.  I love it!!  I decided to try a recipe of what it similar to a breakfast pizza and add gravy into the equation.  It has a croissant crust with your meat of choice (sausage, bacon, or ham), shredded cheese, and you then pour the beaten eggs over the top and bake.  I made mine with sausage and since I love bacon, I had it on the side.  The gravy is then drizzled over the pizza once it has finished baking.  Pretty tasty!

Next up, Turkey and Pancetta Meatballs.  Meatballs, not a favorite of mine, either.  But, these are different!  They are made with ground turkey, sage, lemon, and garlic.  The first time I made these I shaped them into little balls and then proceeded to fry them like the recipe stated.  Not easy.  This time I made them into little patties so that there was more crispy to them.  I like to serve these as a side to toasted ravioli and dipped in marinara.

Sweet & Smoky Mountain Chicken was the first item I made on the grill this year.  It was a freakishly warm day in the middle of winter so I had to break out the grill.  Grilling is probably my main source of dinners during the summer.  Originally, I was going to make a Chicken Cordon Bleu yet I was craving barbecue sauce.  So, this is what I came up with!  A boneless skinless chicken breast grilled and then topped with some cooked ham, shredded swiss cheese, and Bandana's Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce.  I served it with a Ceasar salad, corn, and mini peirogies.  (The frozen box kind not homemade Polish ones, Carol! Sorry!)

My mother used to make this Milnot Coffee Cake which was my brother and I's favorite.  It is so moist and cinnamon-y.  I finally got around to asking her for the recipe so that Dave could finally taste it after hearing me rave about it for so long.  It was soooo good!  It tasted just like I remembered.

I also found this recipe in a book from Paula Deen.  It is her Pecan Pie Muffins.  Oh my gosh, just like a Pecan Pie.  So simple and easy to make.  Look it up online and give it a try!  You will not regret it!

Yesterday the weather was absolutely perfect!  I cleaned up the patio table and a couple of chairs to sit outside with a  book and grill up some more BBQ!  I grilled up six boneless pork chops, four hamburgers, eight hot dogs, a pound of fresh sausage, a mini beef tenderloin, and five small potatoes.  All of this just because I was craving a hamburger!  No, I don't plan on eating all of this this week, it will be heading to the freezer.  We had our dinner outside and watched the sun set.  A perfect ending to a nice weekend!

No comments: